There is a mad rush in adopting mobility for the high risk energy sector in North America. Advanced software keeps coming into the market which offers better results. Companies who have not been able to take advantage lack a fully configurable mobile system and also no support from their IT vendors. Field data collection continues to be a priority and cannot be neglected. Mobile field data capture is a necessity and with IoT it is reshaping operations.
This post demonstrates the ability of a fully configured mobile app that can bring costs down and helps mid stream and upstream companies to create a robust plan to increase revenues.
App with current web-based technology delivers
In the past non-productive time caused problems for the energy sector. Efficiency and safety were also impacted by it. Earlier drillers and rough necks got down to get data which was risky. IoT has taken over to reduce the risks. Data capture is now recorded by software and mobile apps have come into the picture. There is no conflict between the processes and humans.
The latest web-based technologies address several concerns and hazardous situations with:
- Predict and perform maintenance of important machinery used for drilling and sensor control valves, managing leaks, and keeping an eye on tank levels.
- The data coming from downhole or the seabed is reliable with remote systems and reach the boardrooms for real time analysis.
- The reservoir data is integrated with mobile field data capture to record flow rates.
- Those in mid stream businesses can now connect pipelines with leak detection machines.
- The mobile apps give access to sensors and connect to emergency shutdown systems.
- Apps can be modified to accommodate new regulations in the downstream industry.
The current oil and gas industry is valued at more than $ 103 billion in the USA alone. The need for Iot in reshaping operations in far flung exploration sites make it important for companies to invest in enterprise mobility solutions which are based on the latest technology for better business pursuits.
Apps offer optimized mobility
The exploration sites can be optimized with mobile technology. The app can be customized to support:
- Tank level forecasts
- Collecting pressure from wells
- Liquid loading- it affects the well bore when the gas cannot remove the liquids when the drilling process commences. The gas undergoes a ‘cortical velocity drop’ and affects production. The liquid creates a static column with back pressure. This pressure forms within the pores of the formation rock. In such a case predictive analysis helps in reducing economic losses.
- Machine Learning and AI are most useful in such situations. Derived from historical data algorithms offer data for better outcome.
- Old workflows can be archived or done away with mobile apps.
GIS is being implemented successfully
Most companies now allow employees to get their own devices to work. This makes mobility an important tool to empower the workers in the field. With support from IT vendors who develop customized apps, people in crucial projects remain connected at all times, especially when emergencies need to be handled. GIS based apps are crucial to check the workforce in dangerous rigs for their own safety. The other areas where tracking helps is for transportation of equipment, work order management for engineers, and data related to continuing the operations by the drilling manager. He can contact the bosses for permission via the mobile device. Such an exercise reduces time and needless paperwork. It allows good connectivity and collaboration through the app.
Future of connected apps
With support of OS of Android and IOS devices, the future of device controlled operations will be normal to the oil and gas industry. For instance, the mud logger need not capture manually the rock formation and details which is time consuming. The rock can be captured on ‘as is’ basis in real time for the remote teams, geoscientists and engineers to take decisions. All the other rocks, and their patterns can be captured on the mobile device and images sent for analysis to the experts. The data is transmitted without wastage of time. The future of connected apps is bright in this industry. The only additional concerns will relate to the security of sensitive data that emerges. How only authorized personnel can access and protect it, is another story altogether. But for the crucial mobile field data capture, the above information will make you think of better ways to get work done from the skilled technicians, machines, and web-based mobility solutions.